Four ill after drinking unpasteurised milk

By Mike Lewis in Health

HEALTH chiefs have issued a warning after four people were struck down with severe food poisoning after drinking milk from a farm at Llanarth.

People who have consumed unpasteurised or ‘raw’ cow’s milk from Penlan y Môr farm are being asked to be vigilant for symptoms of Campylobacter infection, including persistent nausea, diarrhoea, stomach cramps, and fever.

Health officials say visitors to the Royal Welsh Show in Builth Wells may have sampled or bought the milk, which was available there on Wednesday, 26 July.

Public Health Wales, Hywel Dda University Health Board, the Food Standards Agency, and Ceredigion County Council are investigating four cases of Campylobacter, which they say is linked with milk from Penlan y Môr farm.

The four victims all consumed or bought the milk at Aberystwyth Farmers’ Market after 1 June.

If members of the public who have consumed unpasteurised milk from this farm experience persistent symptoms, they should contact Ceredigion County Council on 01545 572105. Any remaining unpasteurised milk that has not been consumed should not be used.

See this week’s South Ceredigion edition for the full story, in shops and online now

Add Comment

Add Your Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment

By posting your comment you agree to our T & C